Child care can't wait till the cows come home: Rural child care in the Canadian context
The purpose of this paper, aimed at a wide range of stakeholders, is to provide a current overview of the state of rural child care and to stimulate and inform discussion aimed at improving it.
The report includes the following sections as well as references and appendices:
- an executive summary available in English and French;
- a literature review of research, descriptions and analyses of rural child care to highlight issues facing contemporary rural families and child care programs;
- a scan of provincial/territorial approaches and initiatives pertinent to rural child care;
- several descriptive case studies of successful rural child care programs across the country;
- a brief summary of the situation of rural child care beyond our borders;
- a discussion of possibilities and recommendations to the various levels of government and to community stakeholders.
This Occasional Paper No. 30 is available in an online format only.