Regulated child-care services in the province will be allowed to open again on May 11 when the province goes to Alert Level 4 of its five-stage reopening plan.
However, they will still receive compensation until the end of May, Education Minister Brian Warr confirmed Friday.
Some child cares already reopened earlier this month to accommodate essential workers.
“We will continue to follow the direction and guidance of our public health officials with the safety and health of children, families and staff as our collective priority,” Warr said in a departmental release. “Expanding availability of regulated child care services with a reduced capacity is a first step in an approach that is focused on care and caution.”
Operational guidelines on reduced homeroom and building capacities and updated screening procedures are being developed in consultation with public health officials he said, and will be provided to operators in the coming days.