Available in print for order (see SOURCE) and online for download.
The purpose of this paper is to:
- Build commitment and agreement for action on Early Childhood Development (ECD) to guide the ongoing advocacy work of First Call.
- Propose a province-wide action framework for Early Childhood Development, within which communities can determine, develop and deliver the ECD supports and services that are needed by their young children and families.
- Clarify what fits specifically within the ECD action framework and determine the broader enabling factors that support all children, youth and families.
- Identify the range of ECD specific supports, services and strategies needed to foster the optimal healthy development of young children and families in British Columbia.
- Provide First Call a basis for ongoing reflection, monitoring and updating of BC's progress in Early Childhood Development.
Section I highlights the research, policy and advocacy links to Early Childhood Development and introduces First Call's 'ECD Basket' framework, placing it within the context of the broader enabling factors that support all children, youth and families. Section II provides an in-depth look at the five components of First Call's ECD Basket. It begins with those supports, services and strategies that are known to strengthen families and enhance the healthy development of children, and then addresses the other four 'Basket' components, which collectively establish a systemic approach to ECD in British Columbia.