In April 2001, five unions and four women launched a Charter challenge of the Ontario Government's decision to deny pay equity funding to women in mostly female public sector workplaces.
On May 23, 2003, they reached a landmark agreement with the Ontario government that will provide $414 million of funding into proxy pay equity payments for public sector women workers.
This fact sheet will give you what you need to know about this important victory for women's economic equality. The fact sheet will answer the questions:
- What is pay equity?
- What is the history of pay equity legislation in Ontario?
- What do I need to know about Proxy Pay Equity?
- Why is government funding of proxy pay equity important to child care?
- What does it mean for you?
- And other FAQs (frequently asked questions) about this new settlement.