Achieving a sustained reduction and virtual end to child poverty requires governments to develop a comprehensive, multi-pronged social investment strategy. In this election, we urge all parties to show their support for a social investment plan for families and children that will:
- Invest in income security programs to protect families with children regardless of the ups and downs of the economy;
- Build a well-designed system of early childhood education and care services;
- Expand affordable housing to meet the needs of families, including the most economically vulnerable;
- Take significant steps to improve the availability of good jobs with living wages and decent working conditions;
- Renew the national social safety net through the new Canada Social Transfer.