14 Oct 2014
Thomas Mulcair and the federal NDP have nailed down the first plank of their 2015 election platform by committing to a national childcare program.
Key elements of the plan:
- Cap the fees at $15 per day per child.
- 60/40 cost sharing between the provinces/territories and the federal government.
- $290 million in new federal funding in 2015/16
- 60,000 childcare spaces funded in 2015/16
- Work with the provinces, territories and Indigenous communities to fund and develop national early childhood education and childcare programs delivered with common principles like affordability, availability and quality.
- Enshrine the program in legislation.
- Ensure long-term, predictable funding so provinces and communities can plan ahead: this will be phased in over an eight-year time period.
- Support or maintain the creation of one million new childcare spaces within eight years, when the program is fully phased in.