Early childhood development as a tool for building climate change resilience, adaptation and mitigation – Experiences from Asia-Pacific and Africa
The climate crisis is a child’s rights crisis at its core. Protecting the youngest children across the globe is integral to the climate crisis response. This is the first in the series of global webinars on ECD and climate change from the Early Childhood Regional Networks - AfECN, ANECD, ARNEC and ISSA and Global Early Childhood Network ECDAN. With speakers from across the globe including youth advocates, climate experts and ECD practitioners, the webinar will explore the global impact of climate change and environmental degradation on young children, share some experiences from Africa and Asia Pacific regions, and agree on key messaging for COP27 (Egypt 7-18 Nov 2022 – Conference of the Parties, global climate summit), for the ECD and climate change agenda to include the youngest children in decision making.
The webinar objectives are as follows:
- Share knowledge on the intersection between ECD and Climate Change and show how ECD is fundamental in addressing environmental issues:
- Explain how it is imperative that environmental knowledge and policy becomes part of our work in ECD
- Explain the impact of climate change and env. degradation on young children’s wellbeing and development aligned with NCF, and some promising practices.
- Build momentum for stakeholder engagements towards consideration of ECD agenda during the 27th session of the Conference of the Parties (COP 27) to the UNFCCC that will take place in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, building consensus on messaging and aligning ECD with youth movement agenda on climate change.
- Peer learning across Africa and Asia Pacific region and regional ECD networks so far in terms of what has happened in Africa Region on the topic of ECD, CC.
- Share that this will be a series of webinars on this initiative and invite colleagues to join the movement.
JOIN US! OUR CLIMATE IS OUR CHILDREN’S FUTURE!