YWCA Canada and Fora are hosting a post-Federal election event unpacking #Elxn44 - Canada's First Pandemic Federal Election.
On September 20th, Canadians will be going to the ballot box for the first Federal pandemic election. During the campaign period, so many issues have been raised to the forefront such as anti-racism, child care, climate change, economic recovery, gender equity, housing and homelessness, reconciliation and Canada’s role on the global stage.
But what does this mean for young women and gender-diverse youth specifically, whose very futures are at stake.
Join Fora: Network for Change and YWCA Canada in a conversation with leading advocates on what does the #Elxn44 campaign and outcome mean for the communities we work with and serve through an intersectional feminist lens.
We will have the following speakers in attendance:
- Fae Johnstone, Executive Director of Wisdom2Action and Board Member of YWCA Canada
- Hannan Mohamud, Media Commentator including being a member of CBC's Power and Politics Youth Panel for 2021 Federal Election
- Bailey Greenspon, Director of Programs and Global Engagement of Fora: Network for Change will be moderating the panel discussion.
- Anjum Sultana, National Director of Public Policy & Strategic Communications of YWCA Canada will provide opening remarks.
Join us September 14, 2021 in a National Day of Action for affordable, quality, accessible, inclusive child care for all.
- At 1:00 PM ET, join a Canada-wide bilingual on-line event about what is at stake for early learning and child care in the 2021 federal election. Register now and then share the information with others.
- Post your voter pledge on social media. Add the hashtags: #Elxn44, #CdnChildCare, #CdnPoli, #VoteChildCare4ALL
- Sign the petition to show all parties how many of us want a publicly funded, universal, inclusive and accessible system of child care.
- In addition, we encourage child care advocates to take action for early learning and child care in their communities by;
- Tie balloons (purple or green) to your porch or balcony
- Print off a DIY lawn sign, think about making this a group colouring activity
- Post a sign on your window or mailbox to show you will vote child care for all
- Ask your local candidate to take the Candidate Pledge
- Write an OpEd or Letter to the Editor in advance and seek to get it published on September 14, 2021